The Best Reader + weekend

All By Myself...

This is exactly how I feel (prepare for my very own little melodrama).

Today, D left for Bismarck — roughly a 7 hour drive North for a new job. It's a job that will eventually lead to his dream job of working in the ER at the hospital he's always wanted to be at. So when he asked me what I thought of him applying for a job, I could hardly be anything but supportive. I wasn't surprised at all when they called less than 24 hours later for an interview and he had the job a week later.

That was three weeks ago. I've had three weeks to warm up to the idea of living alone for four months. Three weeks to brace myself. I thought I was ready; I was almost looking forward to it! I thought of all the time that I could read, do what I want, be alone, blog, twitter, read my Google Reader, etc...

But last night it finally hit me. No one to cook with. No one to watch TV with (I got rid of the cable). No one to complain about my students to. My best friend just moved 7 hours north after living with him for five months. I really am all by myself (cue music).

But really, I'll be okay. I mean after the initial shock of it I'm doing much better. The tears have dried and I've put on my big girl pants. I am keeping busy with this weeks 48 hour read-a-thon (can't wait) and a speech meet!

The thing is... I've never really lived alone. In college I was an RA so I lived in the dorms all four years and loved it. When I got my teaching job I moved into an apartment at the beginning of August and Dan visited basically every weekend until he moved in at the end of August. I don't have family near here and I don't hang out with my colleagues.

I'm still looking forward to "living alone" and I think it will be a valuable experience before getting married. I guess I'm one of those independent people who never really knew how much they loved being with another person until that person left... (irony).

What do you do when you're alone? Besides read, listen to audio, blog, and Twitter. I plan on learning a few new things — like how to cook! So I can surprise D when we "officially" move in together after the wedding. I also plan on working out twice as much (again, wedding goals). But what else do you do?

Don't say grade papers.:)

And... just because I own the copyright: here are our engagement pictures!

best, book, cook, drama, interview, TIME, and more:

All By Myself... + weekend