The Best Reader + TIME

Review: Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready
Publisher: Simon Pulse (May 1st, 2012)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardback: 399 pages
Source: Publisher
Series: Shade, #3
Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves… even if that means betraying her own heart.

Review:


Reading this series has been such a journey for me. I first read Shade when it was just released and it was the book that helped me decide to be a blogger. It just grabbed me so quickly and I was blown away by Jeri Smith-Ready's talent. I'm sad to see this series end but I can't wait to read more from her.

If you've read the first few books, you know that Logan has been gone for a while, but not really.: ) I enjoyed when he would reappear. It was hard to finally let him go. Many, many tears were shed!

Aura has grown so much throughout this series. She seems much better prepared to deal with drama and the craziness of her existence. She seemed ready to face things head on and really figure out what created the shift that caused people to see ghosts. Her and Zachary visit Newrange in Ireland in order to see why it was significant that their parents happened to be there during such a critical point in time. The time that lead to their births and the shift.

I loved seeing where this plot ended up. I never felt like I knew what was coming. It was so well thought-out and explored. Shine really gave Aura her moment where she fought for what she knew was right, no matter who ended up by her side. Yes, we do get the romance but it doesn't interfere with the reason behind the plot. It was just a bonus to it all. It did take me a bit longer to get into the story, compared to the first book, but that's sort of typical for the end of a series.

I really hate seeing these characters go. It's hard to find a series where you really connect with everyone on some level. Jeri Smith-Ready is fabulous in every way and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. This series was build upon such a unique premise, I'm sure she has something else surprising up her sleeve.

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog | Goodreads

Amazon | The Book Depository | Barnes & Noble

4 stars, book, Jeri Smith-Ready, LIFE, review, Shade series, Shine, Simon Pulse, and more:

Review: Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready + TIME