The Best Reader + TIME

Review: PODs by Michelle Pickett

PODs by Michelle Pickett
Published: Spencer Hill Press (June 4th, 2013)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Paperback: 312 pages
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to live, while others meet a swift and painful death from an incurable virus so lethal, a person is dead within days of symptoms emerging. In the POD system, a series of underground habitats built by the government, she waits with the other chosen for the deadly virus to claim those above. Separated from family and friends, it's in the PODs she meets David. And while true love might not conquer all, it's a balm for the broken soul.

After a year, scientists believe the population has died, and without living hosts, so has the virus. That's the theory, anyway. But when the PODs are opened, survivors find the surface holds a vicious secret. The virus mutated, infecting those left top-side and creating… monsters.

Eva and David hide from the infected in the abandoned PODs. Together they try to build a life--a new beginning. But the infected follow and are relentless in their attacks. Leaving Eva and David to fight for survival, and pray for a cure.

Review:

Wow, wow… wow!
5 glowing, sparkling stars for this one!

I can't even fully explain how I feel about this book. I had been waiting for it for so long and then today it shows up at my door. I completely spent my ENTIRE Saturday devouring every… single… word!

I'm not sure if I've ever read a book that made me feel so many different emotions at once. Sadness, anxiety, excitement, helplessness, and so many more. From one page to the next I had no idea what would happen. The crazy part was imagining myself in a situation like Eva was in. What would happen if a virus was killing everyone? I seriously doubt I would be as strong as she was.

Eva was able to bring people together and fight for what she wanted. She was smart, caring, and determined. She took a horrible situation and tried to find a glimmer of hope. I honestly couldn't imagine any character being more perfect for this story. To her, the hope Eva was able to hold on to ended up being David. OMG, David. I loved how their relationship bloomed. It wasn't"instant love" which is so common in books these days. They lived with several others in their little world and their friendship gradually progressed into something more.

And, speaking of their world, I absolutely adored every character Michelle introduces us to. This book isn't just about a romance, or two people fighting some battle. This book allows us to get to know several, amazing, diverse characters who all grab your heart (even a few who have attitude issues). They all held such an important place in the story.
I had tears in my eyes so many times in this story because I really felt the connection these characters shared. They were truly like a family.

Now for the plot. Holy crap! First, I think somewhere in all of us we worry about something like this happening. A virus takes over and then what happens? Well, in this world, people are selected to move into PODs. These PODs are to be used for a period of time till the virus is no longer a threat. Sounds simple enough, but so much goes into pulling that off. We get to see into that world and what it would take to remove people from a harsh environment and place them somewhere a virus can't reach. Michelle did a flippin' fantastic job giving us each piece of this puzzle. We know each step Eva has to take and get a clear picture of what POD life would be like.

I won't go into details about what happens after they are removed from the POD but O-M-G! The action never stops.

This book seriously needs to be a movie. I could picture every detail and already see it playing out on screen. PLEASE SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

I am now stalking Michelle to get updates on everything she writes. I recommend this book to EVERYONE! Beware of loss of sleep while reading it, and nightmares after it is over.

Website | Goodreads | Twitter

Amazon | Barnes & Noble

5 stars, book, LIFE, Michelle Pickett, PODs, review, Spencer Hill Press, and more:

Review: PODs by Michelle Pickett + TIME