The Best Reader + TIME

Review: Cross My Heart by Katie Klein

Cross My Heart by Katie Klein
Published: March 15th, 2011
Ebook: 225 pages
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
True love can blossom in unexpected places. This is Jaden pretending not to notice..

Jaden McEntyre and Parker Whalen are a wrong fit from the start. Jaden is driven and focused, Harvard Med School within reach. Parker has a past-a reputation-and the rumors about his mysterious habits abound. So there's no reason why, when they're assigned to work together on a project in English, they should discover they have anything in common, or even like each other, and they definitely shouldn't be falling in love.

As they bond over Edith Wharton's tragic novella, Ethan Frome, the"bad boy" vibe Parker plays begins to dissipate. Soon, Jaden finds herself shedding her own"good girl" image: sneaking around to be with him, confiding in him, and ultimately falling hard for this leather-wearing, motorcycle-driving loner who plays into the rebel stereotype.

Still, Jaden can't shake the feeling that there's more to Parker than he's letting on. He's hiding something from her, and discovering the truth means reconciling the Parker she's grown to love with the person he really is. Because it's possible that his life inside the classroom-everything Jaden knows-is one, massive lie.
Review: This book simply blew me away! That's probably why it was featured in so many of my Top 10 of 2011 posts. It is incredible, brilliant, intense, shocking, and all other appraising words you can throw at it. I simply went browsing amazon one day and bumped into it. I was looking for a light, cute read. I got so much more than I bargained for.

Cross My Heart is from Jaden's point of view. Jaden is an amazing student. She has her sights set on Harvard and nothing can break her focus, until Parker comes along. Parker is quiet and already has a bad reputation. There are rumors swirling about his past and his current activities. Then, to Jaden's horror, she gets paired with him for an assignment. Jaden just wants to push through and get it over with. She is a bit blown away when Parker seems to care about his grade and is much more intelligent than he first seemed.

Slowly throughout the novel Parker's walls come down. He talks more with Jaden and helps her realize a lot about herself. Even though Jaden has the"perfect" boyfriend and everything in a nice place in her life, Parker helps her see the flaws in being perfect. In turn, Jaden helps Parker see kindness. Someone now cares for him and looks past the outside image.

They are the perfect-dysfunctional pair. Jaden was hilarious. Her interactions with Parker could not have been portrayed any better than they were. They didn't have"insta-love" or a relationship that was fake or forced. They slowly built a connection that grew into affection and, later, into love.

But love isn't the only factor in this book. There is a twist I wouldn't have seen coming if I had 10,000 chances to guess it. I'm not sure if a book has ever shocked me as much as this one.

I think I've only shared quotes from a book a few times in my reviews but I need to for this one!

Prepare to swoon…
(Sets scene) Parker is on Jaden's roof with a notebook in his hands.
“He turns another page, and I read:

I'M NOT ETHAN..
..AND I'M NOT GOING TO GIVE UP..
..UNTIL I CAN PROVE TO YOU..
..THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS.

He flips to the next page.

SO KEEP SENDING ME AWAY..
..BUT I'LL JUST KEEP COMING BACK TO YOU.
AGAIN..

He flips to the next page.

..AND AGAIN..

And the next:

..AND AGAIN.

Goose bumps rise to the surface of my skin. I shiver, hugging myself tightly.

AND IF YOU CAN EVER FIND IT IN YOUR ❤ TO FORGIVE ME..
..I WILL DO EVERYTHING IT TAKES TO MAKE IT UP TO YOU..

He closes the notebook and tosses it beside him. It lands on the roof with a dull thwack. Then, lifting his index finger, he draws an X across his chest.

Cross my heart.”
Ahhhh! For more quotes check out this page on Goodreads. But could anything be better than a guy doing that for you? FOR REAL! Reading this just makes me want to re-read the book! Do you ever read a book and then want to erase it from your mind so you can read it again without knowing what happens?? Am I the only crazy person who does that? It's rare, but it happened to me with this book. If I could tell people about 1 book from last year that was the most unexpected for me, it would be this book. Katie Klein's writing is not just incredible, but she was able to bring characters to life. I honestly cannot praise this book enough (as you can tell from this review).

Did I mention that Cross My Heart is only $3.99 on amazon!

Recommended: If you like a good romance at all, you have to get this book! Or, if you want something that will really shock you!

Website | Goodreads | Twitter

Amazon | Barnes & Noble

5 stars, book, Cross My Heart, Katie Klein, LIFE, review, and more:

Review: Cross My Heart by Katie Klein + TIME