The Best Reader + weekend

Applefied

2011 was definitely the year of The Apple for me (as I assume it was for many others with the death of Steve Jobs); I now consider myself "Applefied." The husband gave me an iPad 2 for Christmas this year, I bought an iPhone in June, I purchased my MacBook Pro last September (2010), the iTouch (3rd generation) was a Christmas Gift in 2009, and (this is really impressive) my iPod Classic (now labelled "Old iPod") was my very first Apple product purchased when I was in High School! This iPod was really my first big purchase as I had just started working; I remember saving up for quite awhile for this bad boy. This iPod was my most valuable object in high school.

When my MacBook crashed the semester before I graduated from college, this iPod was all I had my music on and I was able to enable it as a disc and save the majority of my music. That Christmas (2009) I received an iPod Touch and have used that primarily since. But as I was considering my "Applification" I brushed off the Classic, cleaned it real well, plugged it into my computer (for the first time since 09), restored the settings, and reinstalled all my music. After all this time it still works. It's extremely scratched up and there are no "fancy" gadgets to it; it's merely a device for listening to music. It's simple and basic — but I kind of miss that.

This weekend I've sort gotten used to carrying it around with me again. It's so much heavier than my iPhone or iTouch and it's sort of fun to rediscover it (like the button on the top isn't a shut off button but rather a "hold" button).

With three listening devices (iPhone, iTouch, and iPod) in working order I'm trying really hard to make sure to utilize their differences. For instance, I have fewer than 50 songs on my iPhone as I use it primarily to listen to audiobooks and I don't download my audiobooks to the Touch. It's amazing how far I've come. I remember in high school when this whole MP3 thing was first brought up and I looked at the hundreds of CDs I had accumulated (that now sit in a box in storage) and thought "I'll never give you up!" It's been years since I purchased a CD.

I also remember being very hesitant to the Apple brand; when I thought of Apple I thought of old funny computers in the library that no one used because everything was opposite. Today, I can proudly say that I'm Applefied and loving it!

book, TIME, and more:

Applefied + weekend