The Best Reader + TIME

Before the Bell Rings 5.25.10

As expected, yesterday was a fantastic day! Sheila and I spent some time in the Blogosphere before we headed to the Javits Center to check it out and plan our route.

Then we went and found an "off the beaten trail" Mexican restaurant in Times Square to have a nice quiet sit down meal.

We returned to the hotel and relaxed a bit before going to the Strand Bookstore which is known for it's 18 mile long bookshelves. The advertisement doesn't give the bookstore justice. Wall to wall and ceiling to floor — there are books everywhere! It was fantastic, but after walking 40 blocks it would have been nice to have a place to sit and relax. But finding none we we stopped for frozen yogurt before heading to the Jefferson Marketplace Public Library.

While approaching the library I looked to Sheila and said "Look at that castle! Wouldn't it be great if that was the library!" And it was! It was a magnificent library except for the fact that there were no bathrooms for adults. There was one that you could use if you had a child, but despite Sheila's protests, I could not pretend to be an kid.

At the TAC I met some fantastic authors, the first of which was Lauren Oliver! Ooo how I loved her (and I haven't even read her book yet)! (Before I Fall)

Then I met Simone Elkeles (who couldn't believe I was a teacher!). This woman is hilarious! (Perfect Chemistry)

Then I met Kody Keplinger the amazing 18 year old author of DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend).

And Courtney Sheinmel — author of Positively!

Barry Lyga (Goth Girl Rising). This guy cracks me up! He's like the Dane Cook of authors!

Violet Haberdasher, author of Knightley Academy! This looks like a fantastic book! It's the only one I bought there! (I'm quite proud... of the fact I only bought one.)

For answering a question I won a prize pack: "Sea," "Perfect Chemistry," "Fixing Delilah Hannaford," and "The DUFF." But Courtney generously donated a copy of "Positively" as well! And then I bought (using my Educator discount) "Knightley Academy."

On our way home, Sheila and I stopped at Olive Garden for dinner. After a fantastic meal we were faced with a new dilemma: neither of us have ever hailed a taxi! So we did what any other Minnesotans would do and asked the hostess. This hostess was so polite... she even showed us HOW!

We are now officially pros.

book, book expo america, cook, fantastic, summer 2010, and more:

Before the Bell Rings 5.25.10 + TIME