The Best Reader + TIME

Glass Houses — Rachel Caine

Release Date: 2006
Publisher: NAL Jam
Challenges: YA Challenge, Audiobook Challenge, iChallenge, Off the Shelf, 100+ Reading Challenge

"Welcome to Morganville, Texas.
Just don't stay out after dark. College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood."

I apologize for my rant/rave. I'm sure this book wasn't as bad as I am recollecting now, but I'm just needing to get this all off my chest. If you stick with me through this review there is a "light at the end of the tunnel" in the form of a funny "while I was listening" story. I know it's "unprofessional" to write super negative reviews and I mean no disrespect to the author, but this book at it's essence just did not float my boat. For a different perspective please look at these reviews: Love Vampires, Book Briefs, and Books from the Addict.

I chose to pick this series up because it was on my Top YA List Challenge and, I won't lie, I'm a "sucker" for vampire books. Unfortunately, this book didn't suck me in... at all. First of all, I found all of the characters to be so entirely cliche, shallow, and extreme that I couldn't take ANY of them seriously. In the first chapter you're introduced to Jenn, Gina, Monica, and Erica — the mean girls. I mean, really? Perhaps the purpose of the similar syllables was to indicate that they were really of one personality, but it really only confused me more.

I understand the element of fiction, but how mean these girls were was just two extreme for me to even handle. I mean, pushing a girl down the stairs in a dorm and leaving her there to potentially die? I understand the whole laundry thing because I've seen that kind of bullying, but jumping the girl!? I'm serious, at one point (spoiler) all of the girls in the dorm kidnapped Claire by shoving a bag over her head and throwing her into a van and beating her and then there was the time when they took her to the basement of the dorms and held her down while she was beaten. That's just too ridiculous for me to handle.

Speaking of Claire, I am so sick of hearing how intelligent she is! Every chapter I was reminded of the fact that she was only sixteen but smart for her age and that she was in college early. It was almost like listening to how clutzy/ditzy Bella is every other page. Then the parent issue: it seems like in most YA books there's a lack of strong parents (because how else would these kids be getting away with all they are getting away with?). In this book, apparently two extremely good parents let their sixteen year old go to this far away small-town university rather than let her go to a large, ivy-league near by. Then after a hospital incident (because Claire apparently can't go anywhere without needing to be rescued) her parents finally get worried and only then does Claire become a REAL sixteen year old.

But it's not really Claire's fault — all of the characters acted (LOTS) older than they really were. I just can't wrap my mind around a bunch of eighteen year olds hanging out in a house (and paying for it) and being as mature as they were. With the alcohol references and the maturity of the characters, it felt like they were more in their mid-twenties rather than the end of the teens.

Whew. Still reading?

Those are basically the notes I had typed down while listening. Forgetting the characters and the plot, the narrator alone didn't really sell me on this book either. I purchased a hard copy of Volume One, the first two stories, months ago but I won't be reading the last part of it. I just can't stomach it.

I know as a "fair" reviewer I should mention something that I enjoyed about this audiobook, but there really wasn't anything (other than the fact that at least the vampire society was intriguing and even believable). I do have a funny "while I was listening story" though to lighten the mood of this review.

While I was listening to this audiobook to and from work my neighborhood underwent some major road construction. At one point I was in my car stopped at one of those signs held by a worker (one side said stop and the other side says "slowly"). I was in the front of the line and this particular worker was sort of staring at me funny. Then all of a sudden a more "racy" part of the book was narrated and I could just feel the judgement of this worker staring me down. I started to get really embarrassed and even blushed. I'm hoping he couldn't hear me, but I do have to have my radio on pretty loud to hear the audiobooks. Awkward.

-Visit Rachel around the web here: Goodreads | Twitter
-BUY THE BOOK: Amazon | Kindle | Barnes and Noble | Nook

To the FTC, with love: Library Loan Audiobook and Bought hard copy

audio book review, book, LIFE, love story, release, review, and more:

Glass Houses — Rachel Caine + TIME