The Best Reader + TIME

"Romeo and Juliet" Book Trailer

For an Educational Technology class I had to create a movie and incorporate it into my classroom. There weren't any real standards or 'rules' that I had to work around — it was a pretty simple premise. Make a movie that would be relevant to your classroom. Most people did speeches or something like that, but I really wanted to do something book related. This took me about two hours to hammer out and get the way I wanted to, but that's because I really had NO idea what I was doing. I think it turned out well.

What do you think? The resolution is kind of crappy. I know.

Before I introduce the book to the class on the first day of the unit I will welcome the class into the classroom and ask them to take their seats quietly. The shades will be closed, lights off, and my computer screen with a video will be displayed on the board via projector. After the second bell, I will remain silent until the class is completely silent and everyone is in their seats. I will then walk to my desk and press play.

After the video, I will ask a student to flip on the lights. I will quickly pass out a small ten question pretest. When the students are finished, I will collect the pretest and then begin discussion by asking the students the following questions:

  • Has everyone heard of “Romeo and Juliet”?
  • Has anyone read “Romeo and Juliet”?
  • What do you know about “Romeo and Juliet”?
  • What modern stories do you think follow the same plot line?

By using the movie to introduce the book, I will capture my students’ attention and get them excited about reading the book.

SD 9-12 Reading Standards

9th Grade Reading

Indicator 1:

9.R.1.1 Students can apply example clues to extend vocabulary. (Application)

Indicator 2: Students can comprehend and fluently read text.

9.R.2.1 Students can evaluate text by applying comprehension strategies. (Evaluation)

9.R.2.2 Students can read fluently to comprehend grade-level text. (Application)

Indicator 4: Students can interpret and respond to diverse, multicultural, and time period texts.

9.R.4.1 Students can analyze text to determine the influence of time period, culture, geography, and author’s background. (Analysis)

book, movie, and more:

"Romeo and Juliet" Book Trailer + TIME