The Best Reader + TIME

Author Interview — Courtney Summers

At the beginning of this school year I realized that I had at least three girls who were severely struggling, not only academically but socially as well. When these girls came into my classroom each day they had this look of defeat on their faces — such a sad look for a freshman. When we started talking about recreational reading and that each freshman would be required to read two recreational books a quarter and that each Friday would be devoted to reading, I heard many of groans of agony I assumed I would receive.

These three girls came up to me after school and said, "Miss Remmers, we have no idea what to read. Nothing sounds good. Nothing is real." I immediately turned to my trusty bookshelf and handed them my copies of "Cracked Up to Be" (review) and "Some Girls Are" (review) . Four days later, each of the three girls had devoured both of these books and were begging for more. I don't have a copy of Courtney's next release "Fall For Anything," so I needed to find something to stall their ferociously growing appetite for YA.

I emailed Courtney's agent asking for an author interview; to my absolute delight, Courtney responded. When I told these girls, which has now gone from the original three to my "Girls Read" thirteen student After-School Book Club, they couldn't wait to put in their questions. Without further ado, I would like to welcome Courtney Summers, author of "Cracked Up to Be," "Some Girls Are," and the upcoming "Fall For Anything," not only to this blog, but to my classroom as well.

You have fantastic characters. They are so honest and real — just like us! How do you come up with your characters? Do you have any inspiration? Do you have a writing process you do for character development?

Thank you! Inspiration varies from character to character. With Parker and Regina, I was interested in writing female protagonists who were not traditionally nice. Parker was inspired by the pressure we place on girls to be perfect, often at the expense of themselves. In Regina, I wanted to write a character who didn't make likeable choices, but I wanted to see if I could make readers understand why she made those choices. I don't do any pre-writing in terms of character development (like interviewing my characters etc.)--once I have their general story in my head, I usually dive right into the book.

While I loved "Some Girls Are," it was almost painful to read it because of the issue of bullies. What was your inspiration for Regina and the other characters in "Some Girls Are"?

As a girl who bullied and was bullied, I had a lot of questions about my own experiences. I wanted to make sense of them and find out if I was alone in them, and that's ultimately why I wrote the book. As I mentioned above, in Regina, I wanted to write a female character who wasn't always nice or made good choices, but I wanted readers to understand why she made them. She's in a very toxic relationship with these girls she has known all her life and thinks of as her friends and she's constantly worried about her own immediate survival within her group. This fear inspires her to act in not always the best ways. But I think that's a sadly common situation girls find themselves in.

We learn in school that we have to practice our craft and setting up a routine is the best way to be consistent. Do you have a routine when you write? Any thing you have to have when you sit down to write? When do you write and where?

It's definitely important to be consistent; that will help you turn your writing into a discipline. I write every night (I'm a night owl) at a desk in my room. Pretty basic! I like to have water or coffee nearby and I absolutely have to have my headphones, so I can listen to my favorite songs while I type.

Parker, from "Cracked Up to Be," and Regina, from "Some Girls Are," were such fantastic characters. I can't wait to read your next novel. "Fall for Anything." Can you tell us anything about the protagonist of that novel?

Thank you! The protagonist of Fall For Anything is a girl named Eddie Reeves. She's seventeen and she's VERY unlike Parker and Regina.
She's my first non-mean girl character. Eddie is a very vulnerable and open girl who is trying to make sense of her father's death (he killed himself). She's very single-minded in her quest to unravel the mystery and find out the truth.

What advice do you have for fourteen year old aspiring authors?

If it's what you really want to do, don't let anyone talk you out of it. And always set flexible goals!

What's your favorite and worst high school memory?

My favorite memory of high school is when the last bell went and I got to go home.;) The worst memory was walking down the hall and seeing a boy get publicly humiliated. A crowd had gathered and they were all laughing at him. It was awful.

What songs are on your iPod right now?

Sooo many. Here's a sampling:
Marina & The Diamonds' album, The Family Jewels (fave tracks: Oh No! and I Am Not a Robot)
Florence + the Machine's album, Lungs (fave tracks: Dog Days Are Over, My Boy Builds Coffins)
Lissie's album, Catching a Tiger (fave tracks: Record Collector, Bully, Stranger)

Who is your best friend? How did you meet?

I have a few best friends who have come into my life in different ways... one of them is in the dedication of every one of my books.

Anything else you'd like to share?

Thank you so much for reading my books and for your thoughtful questions! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Thank you so much Courtney for taking the time to talk answer my girls' questions. They were so excited to read your answers and demanded a printed out copy. These two novels not only opened up a world of YA fiction to these struggling readers, but they also provided an outlet and new found community. "Girls Read" meets every Tuesday after school; we are currently reading "Shiver."

"Fall For Anything" comes out December 21st, 2010.

author interview, best, book, fantastic, interview, LIFE, love story, novel, release, review, and more:

Author Interview — Courtney Summers + TIME