The Best Reader + TIME

Dracula in Love — Karen Essex

"This is the perfect novel for a reader who is looking for a vampire story with depth, with no right or wrong answer, and with something a little more mature than the popular Meyer-esque characters and plot." — Miss Remmers

From Barnes and Noble:

"From the shadowy banks of the river Thames to the wild and windswept Yorkshire coast, Dracula’s eternal muse, Mina Murray, vividly recounts the intimate details of what really transpired between her and the Count—the joys and terrors of a passionate affair that has linked them through the centuries, and her rebellion against her own frightening preternatural powers.

Mina’s version of this gothic vampire tale is a visceral journey into Victorian England’s dimly lit bedrooms, mist-filled cemeteries, and asylum chambers, revealing the dark secrets and mysteries locked within. Time falls away as she is swept into a mythical journey far beyond mortal comprehension, where she must finally make the decision she has been avoiding for almost a millennium.

Bram Stoker’s classic novel offered one side of the story, in which Mina had no past and bore no responsibility for the unfolding events. Now, for the first time, the truth of Mina’s personal voyage, and of vampirism itself, is revealed. What this flesh and blood woman has to say is more sensual, more devious, and more enthralling than the Victorians could have expressed or perhaps even have imagined."

Why I read this: After seeing a review of this book on a blog (which of course I can't remember), I commented that the book looked fantastic but after going to my local Barnes and Noble and seeing the $25 price tag, I would have to wait for the paperback edition. Hours later the author, Karen Essex, emailed me and offered to send me a copy. I happily (and thankfully) accepted.

Plot: "Dracula in Love" is the story of "Dracula" from Mina's perspective. I really appreciated the way the plot was laid out. Firstly, the narration is absolutely fantastic; Mina brings you in before the first chapter in a prologue. Various references to the man who originally told the story (Brom Stoker) intrigued my interests and added further depth to the story. I haven't read "Dracula" (yet), but I was still able to make connections with the infamous plot line of the original story and follow along. The plot had a very significant supernatural tone to it, which I think fits the time period well. The very small subplot in regards to women's rights and the unsureness of the supernatural helped me to get a feel for the time period. The added supernatural and "eternal" elements to the story really kept my interest, but there did come a point at the end of the novel where I became overwhelmed with all of the supernatural elements.

Characters: While there were a few characters that I had a hard time visualizing, for the most part these characters became very real to me. The characters are written so well that I didn't see the several character "surprises" that Essex had in store. I was genuinely surprised in regards to how certain characters turned out again and again. The Count's love for Mina was so well written and described, you couldn't help pity him. In the beginning Mina was such a likable character who was easy to relate to; in the end, however, she was barely recognizable at the end. While I understand why this is important to the plot, I would have preferred a more reasonable and realistic change to her character.

Cover: This cover is gorgeous! Definitely "grab" worthy.

Random Thoughts: I should mention that this is not like other contemporary vampiric novels; Essex never really says that Dracula is a vampire, it's only subtly implied. This is the primary reason I can't really see any of my freshman picking up this book solely based on the "vampire story." This fact, however, did not bother me. I think adult readers will prefer that there is some sort of thought required in regards to Dracula's existence, rather than being told "Dracula is a vampire, an immortal, who sucks blood from the neck of his victims." Essex's Dracula is full of much more depth than that.

Final Thoughts: "Dracula in Love" is a fantastic love story for anyone who is love with the idea of vampires; having read "Dracula" isn't a requirement to fall in love with the characters Dracula and Mina. Actually, since having finished "Dracula in Love" on Saturday, I am now listening to Stoker's "Dracula." "Dracula in Love" is the perfect novel for a reader who is looking for a vampire story with depth, with no right or wrong answer, and with something a little more mature than the popular Meyer-esque characters and plot.

Yes, I went there.:)

Originality: 10/10
Ending: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Plot: 9/10
My reaction/enjoyment: 9/10
Theme: 10/10
Imagery: 10/10
Setting: 5/5
Voice: 5/5
Style: 5/5
Tone: 5/5
Cover: 10/10
Overall: 96/100 A

To the FTC, with love: Received from Author

book, fantastic, love story, novel, review, and more:

Dracula in Love — Karen Essex + TIME