The Best Reader + TIME

It's a Very Halloween Monday 10.31.11

Hosted by Sheila — Thank you!

Last week I finished reading two fantastic dystopias: "Ashfall" by Mike Mullin and "The Pledge" by Kimberly Derting. This sounds crazy, but as I was on my reading high with two absolutely amazing books, I kept thinking of how great it was going to be to tell all you Monday hoppers that I was actually productive this week (as it has been such a long time)! This productivity may be due to amazing books or to my new "plan:" I've been reading during my thirty minute lunch break. I know people say to do this but I eat in the department office with the other thirteen female teachers and I thought it would be "distracting" but I've found that reading during lunch not only settles me down but it a great "breather". I look forward to lunch now and can't wait to open my Nook for that thirty minutes a day that I know I have to read. The conversations going on don't bother me (I'm lucky enough to be able to focus on reading).

Anyway, that's what has really changed this past week in my reading life. This week I'd like to finish "Saving June" by Hannah Harrington.

"‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again."

best, book, fantastic, it's monday, LIFE, and more:

It's a Very Halloween Monday 10.31.11 + TIME