The Best Reader + weekend

Interlibrary Loaning: The Library-Lover's Best Friend

I am always amazed at how many people don't know the term "interlibrary loan." My mom, as a librarian, is similarly amazed. I often think, if I didn't grow up with a mom-librarian, would I know the term?

What is Interlibrary Loaning?
Today, almost all libraries offer interlibrary loaning. It's basically a FREE service that enables the library card holder to borrow a book from another library. This other third-party library can be in the same system of libraries that you belong to (if you live in a larger city) or can come from across the state (if you live in a rural area).

Who can interlibrary loan books?
You'll have to check with your library, but I'd be amazed if a library didn't offer this service. If your library does offer interlibrary loaning anyone with a library card can go online and request books.

How fast do the books come and how will I know when they arrive?
In my area, within a week. But this is again dependent on your own library system. I receive an email when books arrive for me from other libraries, but, again, different libraries do different things.

I really love this service because, being in a smaller area, my library often times doesn't have exactly what I'm looking for. It's extremely convenient to have my library's website in a separate tab as I meander through my Reader and highlight books that I want to read. It can also be very dangerous (I limit myself to how many books I can request at once). Interlibrary loaning is a great way to broaden your library loaning and expand from the shelves of your local library. Due dates are generally very similar to if you were to have checked the book out from your own library.

When I was working on my senior thesis paper a couple years ago in college I used this system exclusively in order to track down all the very topic-specific books that I needed (my topic was on Harry Potter and my local university had ZERO nonfiction books on the series — gah). It was a great way to retrieve all the sources I needed and without purchasing them all (can you imagine!).

Again, I use my library's website to interlibrary loan books and request them through my own library on a daily basis. If you're looking for a visual "how to" — here you go. But remember, all libraries are different and, really, the best person to ask, is your favorite librarian.:)

If you find a book you like that is not available at your local library, request the item.

Requesting is fairly simple.:)

Nothing to complicated about it.:)

See the massive amount of audiobooks I need to pick up this weekend?
Any questions?

best, book, TIME, and more:

Interlibrary Loaning: The Library-Lover's Best Friend + weekend