The Best Reader + review

Matched — Ally Condie

"I don't know about you, but during the duration of reading this book I wrote entirely in cursive. What an inspiring concept!" — Miss Remmers

From Amazon.com...

"Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow."

Why I read this: The cover and premise really intrigued me.

Plot: The plot was very similar to "The Hunger Games" in regards to the society and its' people. I love the whole idea of a Society that runs everything, it was different with "Matched" because the Society does such a great job of "taking care" of their citizens. It was so fun to follow the journey that Cassia was on as she discovered the truth about her Society. The Society was so intricately weaved, I was never bored.

Characters: I did struggle a bit with Cassia at first, simply because of the betrayal. But as the relationship between Ky and Cassia developed I found myself captivated. By the end of the novel, I was as upset and enraged as Cassia. When I turned that last page I felt as though friends were waiting for me and book #2 couldn't come any faster.

Cover: What an ABSOLUTELY beautiful cover.

Random Thoughts: I loved how important writing had become to those who don't write. I also loved that, like "The Hunger Games," it was set in a futuristic society where the government controlled the people. I have found that this is a theme that really draws readers in. The technology component was also extremely interesting; past generations had been so overwhelmed by all the technology at their every fingertip has now "de-whelmed" their people by only having the basic technologies available. They have also found that society is too materialistic, so they have rid themselves of all personal objects and purged through its histories and arts. It was absolutely FANTASTIC!

I know I keep mentioning "The Hunger Games," I don't want anyone to misinterpret this as "Matching" being a knock-off of "THG." But it's important to realize that "THG" is a story that every student in my class is talking about and I want them to know that because of the the societal similarities "Matched" and "THG" students will devour this book.

Final Thoughts: WOW! I can't stop talking about this books. On November 30th, I will be bringing a copy of this book into my classroom. I can't recommend it enough.

Originality: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Plot: 10/10
My reaction/enjoyment: 10/10
Theme: 10/10
Imagery: 10/10
Setting: 5/5
Voice: 5/5
Style: 5/5
Tone: 5/5
Cover: 10/10
Overall: 99/100 A

To the FTC, with love: Review Book

This book will be released on November 30th, 2010

book, fantastic, happy, LIFE, love story, novel, release, and more:

Matched — Ally Condie + review