The Best Reader + Unearthly series

Review: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperCollins (January 17th, 2011)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 416 pages
Source: ARC from publisher
Series: Unearthly, book #2
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
Review: For the first time, I feel the need to start my review with a letter.

My letter to Christian:

Dear Christian,
How can you do this to me? I have always liked you but my heart belonged to Tucker. Then there you go, flapping your beautiful wings in front of my face and POOF, you fly away with my heart. It's not fair to play with my emotions like this Christian! Maybe it's your eyes, or your protective nature that makes you so irresistible. Either way, you have me flustered and questioning my feelings for Tucker. Tucker, who's rugged hotness and farm-boy ways made me swoon. Don't give me that look! You know exactly what you're doing. You haven't made this easy for me.

Sincerely,
Jessica

What can I really say about Hallowed that will do it justice (besides my heartfelt letter to Christian). Hallowed picks up where Unearthly leaves off and if you are worried that it won't live up to Unearthly's awesomeness, don't be! In Hallowed, Clara is struggling to figure out her purpose after the fire. There are still big mysteries surrounding what really happened and what it could mean to Clara.

Hallowed brings even more obstacles for Clara when she is faced with something devastating. I felt this was a turning point for her. She seemed to grow and mature in a way I didn't expect. During this time she wants to depend on Tucker but sometimes it's hard for him to understand her world. For this reason, it seemed inevitable that she will be linked to Christian. I must say that the tension this brings was strong for all characters involved. I admit, I enjoyed the.friction. between Tucker and Christian. It brought a lot of"typical teenage drama" to the story, which was a nice touch and helped ease some of the paranormal drama. If that makes sense: )

Christian grew on me during Hallowed. He has complicated my feelings! I have been 100% Team Tucker since the first time he annoyed Clara but now, I just don't know. If you are a fan of love triangles (raises hand!) then you will love this book!

Another thing I liked about Hallowed is that we get a chance to meet the community Clara is now part of. She learns a lot about her past and what could be ahead of her. I think this was another thing that really made her change and mature. She is getting a better grasp of what she may have to deal with later on.

While Unearthly may have introduced us to a world of White Wings and Black Wings, Hallowed explores more of the connection between the characters and the conflicts that come from a battle that may be impossible to win. Cynthia Hand has created a magical world with intriguing characters you can't help but love.

Recommended: For freakin' EVERYONE!

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

5 stars, book, cynthia hand, Hallowed, HarperCollins, review, TIME, and more:

Review: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand + Unearthly series