The Best Reader + weekend

In Which Technology Takes Over My Life

I'll admit it... I am a victim of my generation. But here's the kicker: I'm okay with it!

Oh, don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. I am 23 years old and my generation, along with my students' generation, is constantly being chastised for relying to heavily on technology and I'll admit it... I fit that bill.

When I leave town, whether it be for a week in NYC for BEA or for the weekend to visit the future in laws, I find that I always back the same things first:

Notice how they are all electronics! I mean before I even pack my clothes I have the electronics packed. Okay, so maybe I don't always take my GPS but still...

But with these electronics I must also pack their chargers:

But then there's also the matter of, what I call, the necessary evil electronics:

By the time I have all the electronics packed, I barely have room for an extra pair of shoes much less the appropriate amount of underwear (don't worry, I always find room). I mean, even to go to the grocery store I have my cellphone, camera, iPod and either a book or Sam the Nook.

Sometimes D looks at me a little like: "Do we really need all this?" And the truth of the matter is: YES! I can't think of a single thing I could leave behind! But do I ever get overwhelmed with technology — yes. I find myself thinking, "Reagan, you're a bit excessive. You don't need to be plugged in all the time."

I am. Plugged in. I have Twitter on my phone and my iTouch. I get emails to my iTouch and my phone. I have blog comments forwarded to both devices. Sometimes I do feel like I'm drowning in technology — but then I "unplug" for a few hours and I'm anxious to "get back."

What about you? Do you find yourself constantly plugged in? How do you deal with it?

You're Addicted to Technology if:

  • You constantly check your phone/iPod device for texts, emails, tweets, blog comments when you are away from the computer.
  • You can't wait to get off work to check your Google Reader
  • Whenever the "newest" gadget comes out you can't wait to get your hands on it (iPad, NookColor, etc)
  • You tweet while on the elliptical
  • You tweet while reading
  • You update GoodReads (or other such applications) while reading
  • You find yourself spending less and less time with friends and family in order to comment on blogs and tweet
  • You schedule your time with your online community in mind (I get up at 5:30 to go through my Reader, I go through Reader again after working out after school, and one more time before bed).
  • The second highlight to finishing a book (other than actually finishing the book) is to update your blog, update the challenges, cross it off an electronic list, write your review, etc
What other behaviors are acts of being constantly plugged in?

book, LIFE, review, TIME, and more:

In Which Technology Takes Over My Life + weekend