The Best Reader + book

Recommended Summer Reading from CHS

The school I student taught at sent this faculty wide email out.
"Once again we will allow summer check-out from the library for staff members. The books will be due the first day of school in August.
Some suggestions for you:

  • Sweetness at the bottom of the pie
  • Hotel on the corner of Bitter and sweet
  • The Help**
  • City of thieves**
  • Marcelo in the Real world
  • Brooklyn
  • Good soldiers
  • The good thief
  • The boy who harnessed the wind
  • The kids are all right
  • Finding Nouf
  • Mudbound
  • Over and Under
  • The fight to survive: a young girl, diabetes, and the discovery of insulin
  • Into the Beautiful North
  • The Pluto files: the rise and fall of America's favorite planet
  • Columbine**
Many of these books are ALEX award winners, meaning that they are adult books recommended for teen readers. If you read one (or several) you might be able to make a recommendation your student next year to promote reading!"
I think it is great that they encourage teachers to read during the summer. I mean I obviously do, but I'm surprised at how many teachers literally "check out" come May. I haven't heard of a lot of these books but I starred the ones I have heard of. I was surprised at how many I haven't heard of, but maybe it's because I focus generally on YA? What about you — have you heard of these titles?

award, and more:

Recommended Summer Reading from CHS + book