The Best Reader + TIME

Before the Bell Rings 9.30.10

Remember a couple weeks ago when I mentioned that I had been approved to begin teaching "The Hunger Games" to a class of freshmen? It's about time for an update.

After the initial introduction to the book and to Suzanne Collins, I told my students that we would be reading "The Hunger Games." Then, right after everyone had finished Chapter One, midterms happened. So we spent most of our time "getting caught up" in other classes (this class isn't English 9, it's called Reading Skills and is for students who particularly struggle. It's meant to be sort of a glorified study hall).

After that "hot mess," I tried to get the students back on track. But I found that they just refused to read on their own. So I read Chapter Two aloud... and they loved it. They listened so quietly I thought they were sleeping. They answered all my questions at the end and they begged for more the next day. It was a fantastic "teaching moment."
Because my read-a-loud of Chapter Two was an impromptu lesson, I didn't remember exactly what had happened during that particular chapter. As I was reading along I realized that this was the chapter where Peeta was introduced and where Katniss' relationship with her sister and with her mother was really explored.

Allow me to "Set the Scene" for you:

The classroom was completely quiet. My students were all watching me and waiting to find out what was going to happen after Prim's name was called at the Reaping. As I'm sitting in my chair in the middle of the room reading aloud, I realize what's happening in the text. I continue reading; when I get to the part where Katniss comes to and races towards Prim to volunteer (is this a spoiler?) my voice wavers and my arm hairs raise in anticipation. I feel my face growing hot and I fear tears are about to escape my ducts (I'm trying to poetic... obviously). But, because I'm a professional, I fight through the sadness and continue reading.

It was the most fantastic experience. Now, I've only read "THG," "CF," and "MJ" once (so far) so it's all still pretty new to me. But I had no idea such emotions would resurface while reading this novel aloud. It was a haunting experience, especially after just having finished "MJ."

Since then, I have had a few other emotional teaching moments while reading aloud to my students but none that really strike me as hard as this one did. Whether you've read "THG" once, twice, or a million times before — I highly suggest reading it out loud, even if only for yourself. While we're only on Chapter Five, I've found that the novel is SO much more powerful (is that even possible?) when read aloud.

before the bell rings, book, fantastic, novel, and more:

Before the Bell Rings 9.30.10 + TIME