The Best Reader + review

The Awakening — L.J. Smith

Release Date: 1999
Publisher: Harper Collins
Challenges: YA Challenge, iChallenge, Off The Shelf, 100+ Reading Challenge

"A deadly love triangle
Elena: beautiful and popular, the girl who can have any guy she wants. Stefan: brooding and mysterious, desperately trying to resist his desire for Elena... for her own good. Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Elena finds herself drawn to both brothers... who will she choose?"

Alright, I obviously picked up this book because I was looking for something to satiate my Vampire Diaries thirst. I love the series and figured that the books would be a great extension. I am not one of those people who can't watch the movies in fear of it ruining the book (unless we're talking "My Sister's Keeper") so I'm pretty good at recognizing and appreciating books and movies as two separate entities. I went into "The Awakening" understanding that there were going to be differences and I was prepared.

Or so I thought.

I was not prepared for a protagonist that was so "Queen Bee," egotistical, self-centered, and overly self-confident. Really, book Elena is so completely unlikeable that it's no wonder they had to completely revamp (no pun intended) her character for television. I mean, everything about her down to her very core bothered me (not that I LOVE television Elena, but at least she's endearing). In regards to Stefan... eh. I just didn't buy the whole "I must have him" attitude and everything from then on out was sort of a wash.

I will say that had Elena been a bit more... pleasant, I would have continued on with the series. I liked the writing and I enjoyed the different plot lines from the series.

This was another book that I bought that had the first two books in one "volume." Needless to say, much like "Glass Houses, " I won't be completing this volume.

This post by Bookalicious Pam was really what inspired me to read the novel and despite my feelings toward the book, I really hate what was done to L.J. Smith. If you aren't aware, read the article or google it.
-Visit L.J. Smith around the web here: Website | Goodreads | Twitter
-BUY THE BOOK: Amazon | Kindle | Barnes and Noble | Nook

To the FTC, with love: Bought

book, movie, novel, release, and more:

The Awakening — L.J. Smith + review