The Best Reader + With the Band

Indie Reviews: 5 Star Favorites (Part 1)

In the past year or so I've read many, many… many Indie books. Mostly these have been New Adult titles. I might have an addiction: ) I'm very much behind on these reviews but I still wanted to mention them in a special feature.
For the next week, I'm going to post mini-reviews for these titles. I plan to have about 5-8 books per post. Today I wanted to talk about the ones that have received 5 stars from me. I noticed, while going through my Indie reads, that most of my favorite books are not ones talked about the most. I hope that by featuring them here, they are able to get noticed more often.

Dante's Girl by Courtney Cole
Add to Goodreads

This was such a cute story! The characters are wonderful and there's no doubt Dante is swoon-worthy. We get to explore another country and follow the main character as she tries to navigate in an environment she is very unfamiliar with. Dante's world is so different from her own but their connection and romance is adorable.

Highly recommended if you want something cute, funny, and perfect for summer.

Unlikely Allies by Tiffany King Add it to Goodreads
This book was nothing like I expected. Kimberly finds out that her father is alive and she spends the summer with him and some kids at a summer camp for foster kids. I assumed this book was about her just falling for a guy but it was so much more than that. There is a whole, big, huge catastrophe in there that they are faced with. Kim and Mason don't start out on good terms but by the end, they are forced to get along for survival.
This book is much more intense than it may seem. It was the first story I read from Tiffany and it is still my favorite of hers.

Crush by Lacey Weatherford Add to Goodreads
I can't help it, I'm a sucker for bad boys and good girls. And Hunter Wilder? Oh yeah, totally loved him! There is a big, huge mystery in this book and Hunter is at the center of it. We get both POVs in this story and I can't tell you how happy I was to find out there would be a second book! I believe Smitten, book 2, is coming out very soon and I will be buying it asap.
If you love a good romance with a bad boy, grab up this one. You won't be disappointed in the plot twist!

With the Band by Jean Haus Add to Goodreads
I purchased this one randomly because I was in the mood for more band boy books. I honestly never expected to love it as much as I did. Riley is the main character and she loves music. She decides to join a band but one of the band members does not like this idea. Romeo is a jerk to Riley at first but she honestly can't figure out why. Eventually their sparks turn more passionate. I adored this entire book and especially the other side characters. They all had a little dysfunctional family but I felt the story was told in a way that was very realistic for college life. I have this one on my"re-read" list!
If you love stories with hot musical males, get this! I know the cover may be a bit lacking but it really packs a punch.

The Truths About Dating and Mating by Jaycee Delorenzo Add to Goodreads
Don't you love discovering a book randomly and finding out it rocks? This was another of those cases for me. I hadn't heard anything about this story but the blurb really grabbed me. Often, we read books where main characters have just met. But in this case, the characters had a long-standing friendship. Ivy and Ian are the perfect match. Ian is a bit of a bad boy (yes, like I said, I love them!), but he has a soft spot for Ivy. They even do a love radio show together which is hilarious! Their friendship soon turns into more and neither of them know how to handle it.

If you enjoy friends-to-lovers type of books, this one is for you. Plus, it's freakin' hilarious!

Falling for the Ghost of You by Nicole Christie Add to Goodreads
This is one of those cases where you can't judge a book by its cover. This story starts with a bang and doesn't let up. I know we've heard this type of story a lot; girl meets stepbrother, he's hot, blah blah. But this one was actually so well-written and developed. Violet was funny, smart, and quirky. I enjoyed getting to know her. Zane is a bit older and so darn lovable!! Seriously, I want one of him, stat! When they end up living together, wowzers! Actually, reading the summary again just makes me want to re-read this asap.
Funny, well-developed, and sizzling, this is perfect if you want a great love story with a twist.

Tear by Rachel Van Dyken
Add to Goodreads

Another little-known fact — I love love triangles. But, only if they are good ones where I really feel the girl could be torn between the two guys. This one is exactly that! Two, famous, hot guys start going to Natalee's school so what girl can resist that? Alec and Demetri are both wonderful in their own ways. Demetri is much more open and flirty. Alec is quieter and more laid back. But the brothers share a secret and they are afraid for Natalee to find out. I really enjoyed this story and couldn't stop reading. It was really enjoyable and there is a second book so I'm excited to see what happens next.

Great for fans of love triangles and rocker guys.

Up in Flames by Nicole Williams Add to Goodreads
Who doesn't love firefighters? This book opened up an entire new world to me. I had never heard of smokejumpers before this book. Now, I love them! Elle is from a very small town and this book carries out that vibe very well. Cole, and the other smokejumpers, come around to help with wildfires and the girls flock. While Elle is used to being settled down, Cole dreams of traveling and having fun. I really loved these characters and we are able to learn a lot about each one. The plot was a bit predictable but I really focused on the connection between the characters. The town reminded me of where I grew up and the book was well-written and paced. Very enjoyable!

If you want guys in uniform (YEAH!) and a sweet romance with some hot action, this is for you.

The Voice by Janenifer Anne Davis
Add to Goodreads

The author contacted me for this one and although I wasn't crazy about the cover at first, the summary sparked my interests. Audrey is abducted and held captive in the woods. While there, she begins to hear voices. Once she gets home she ends up moving away with an aunt in order to get away from the stress from her family and friends watching over her. That's where she meets the twins Caleb and Justin. Caleb is super friendly and caring. He wants to be friends with Audrey immediately. Justin, on the other hand, is very closed-off and seems to want nothing to do with Audrey. But they are all more connected than it seems. This book has a huge twist and I am really keeping my fingers crossed that this will end up being a series. I need more of these characters!

If you want something pretty intense, with some nice twists in the plot, get this book. It's truly amazing! Was really shocked at how well this was written and developed, and by how much it intrigued me from the start.

ALL OF THESE BOOKS ARE

5 stars, book, Crush, Dante's Girl, Falling for the Ghost of You, LIFE, review, Tear, The Truths About Dating and Mating, The Voice, Unlikely Allies, Up in Flames, and more:

Indie Reviews: 5 Star Favorites (Part 1) + With the Band