The Best Reader + TIME

Blogger Love: Tina from Book Couture

A few weeks ago I received an email that brought tears to my eyes. Tina from Book Couture had wrote me just to tell me how much she enjoyed my blog. It blew me away that, not only did someone really enjoy my blog, but would take time out just to write me to tell me. Wow! Those comments and emails will always mean the world to me. Thank you so much Tina for making me feel like I am doing something right: )

Today Tina will be discussing The Seven Deadly Sins!

Hi! I'm Tina, an Aussie teenage book blogger who spends a great chunk of her time at Book Couture, where I write book reviews, participate in memes, and aim to spread knowledge of blogger through my tutorials.

My primary goal for Book Couture is to recommend good books to other people. The most fulfilling thing for me would be if someone decided to pick up a book I recommend, and enjoy it as much as I did. The thought that someone else out there could be as moved as I am through reading the same story, experiencing the same magic that it evokes, is what moved me to create my own blog.

I'm also the founder and co-moderator of the Book Contest Directory, a listing of book contests across the blogosphere. Feel free to check it out for contests galore!

My favourite genres are fantasy (Harry Potter), paranormal (Vampire Academy), science fiction (Ender's Game, The Hunger Games), historical (The Luxe), and contemporary/chick lit (think Meg Cabot). Although I started my blog initially to read more reviews about books, and record my own opinions, I have found something more — a lively community of bloggers that share stories and listen to each other's thoughts.

Sometimes, I'll even find the special blogger out there who is willing to help out a newbie. You know who I"m talking about — Jess @ Confessions of a Bookaholic, of course! Thank you, Jess, for featuring me today.

Guest post: The Seven Deadly Sins
The Seven Deadly Sins, also known as the Cardinal Sins or the Capital Vices, dates back to as early as the 14th century. The Catholic Church needed a classification of common immoral human vices to educate people against sinning, and as 7 was seen as a number of power, the Seven Deadly Sins was formed.

This theme is commonly used in art, sculpture, scripture, and literature. Think of the Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix, where Arthur Penhaligon battles seven Demesnes of the House, each possessed by a deadly sin. Or Star Trek: Seven Deadly Sins, where each deadly sin is linked to a Trek race.

Sometimes, the Seven Deadly Sins are also related to other themes with 7 concepts. For example, the seven angels that fell from grace by rebelling against God, becoming demons, were associated to the Seven Deadly Sins by Peter Binsfeld.

What are the Seven Deadly Sins?

Pride/Vanity

Pride or Vanity is the love of oneself, and the belief that one is superior to others. It is the desire to be better, greater, or stronger, and is considered to be the greatest of all sins. It is associated with the demon Lucifer.

Greed/Avar

Greed or Avarice is one of the three sins of excess (the other two being Lust and Gluttony), but greed pertains to the idea of desiring more wealth, status or power than required. It is associated with the demon Mammon.

Lust

Lust is also one of the three sins of excess, and is applied to those who have excessive sexual thoughts and desires.

It is associated with the demon Asmodeus.

Gluttony

Gluttony, the final sin of excess, is the sin of over indulgence and consumption of food or alcohol to the point of waste. It is associated with the demon Beelzebub.

Envy

Envy is the strong sin of desiring what is not yours, and resenting others for having what you do not have. It is associated with the demon Leviathan.

Wrath

Wrath is pure hatred or anger towards something/someone. It is uncontrolled, and leads to violence or self-destruction. It is associated with the demons Satan and Amon.

Sloth

Sloth is the sin of being lazy and apathetic towards something. It may also mean that one's gifts or talents are not utilised. It is associated with the demon Belphegor.

All the beautiful Seven Deadly Sins art is by Marta Dahlig (blackeri) on Deviantart.

Personally, I think my Deadly Sin is Sloth — I procrastinate way too much. Whenever I settle down in front of the computer to do some homework, I will inevitably end up on Book Couture, or I'll be surfing around on other blogs. Then there's Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
In the blink of an eye, it's midnight, I haven't done any work, and I'm cursing myself for getting distracted. So I'm definitely a sloth. But don't tell anyone *winks*.

Q: Which deadly sin do you have?

blogger love, book, book couture, and more:

Blogger Love: Tina from Book Couture + TIME