The Best Reader + TIME

Crossroads Tour: Jeri Smith-Ready

1. Your YA debut book Shade was a huge hit (and one of my all-time favorite books!), what surprised you the most once you stepped into the YA world?
Thanks, Jessica! I was honestly surprised by the excitement people showed over SHADE. I mean, I loved it, of course, since it was my book, but I’d never experienced that kind of massive swell of enthusiasm for a novel before. I’ve been really touched by tales of how it made readers cry and how they could relate to Aura.
3. If you had the ability to see ghosts, like Aura and others born after the Shift, how do you think you would handle it?

I would probably try to block them out as much as possible, using any means necessary. I’d probably always have my earbuds in so I couldn’t hear them, and whenever I wasn’t in a BlackBoxed building to keep out ghosts, I’d wear as much red as possible to repel them.
Then again, that’s coming from the perspective of someone who would be tossed into that world as an adult. The “post-Shifters” in SHADE don’t know any other kind of life. They’ve seen ghosts ever since they were born. So I think they take a more blasé approach to them. They’ve learned ways to blot them out, but they also refuse to let ghosts run their lives. They’re not scared of them at all (except the really creepy ones, and shades, of course, who can hurt them).

4. Do you have any other YA projects in the works other than the Shade series?
I have a YA vampire short story coming out in November in an anthology called ETERNAL: MORE LOVE STORIES WITH BITE. “Thief” takes place in the same world (with the same vampire rules) as my adult vampire series, but with completely different characters and setting. The four young adult characters are Irish Travellers from South Carolina, who Since I always get attached to my characters, it might be fun to turn that into a series one day.
I also have one of those Super Sekrit projects in my head, for a big stand-alone YA. Hopefully I’ll have more details on that next year. It definitely needs a few months to percolate before I start writing. It’ll be that long before I find room in my crazy deadline schedule, anyway!
5. I, like many others, am really excited for the release of Shift next May. Can you tell us a little about the book, and what else to expect from this series?
In SHIFT, we’ll find out the answers to a lot of Aura’s questions about her parents and their connection to the Shift. But of course those answers will lead to more questions, as answers often do. On the personal side, the love triangle will be settled, but not until after it gets much more complicated (a love pentagon?).
After that, I’m not sure how many books there’ll be. Originally I thought there would be a total of four, but after writing SHIFT, the number 3 keeps coming up as significant. So think it would be better as a trilogy. But I need to start writing Book 3 before I can be sure. I know what the main event is, but I’m not sure how far-reaching its effects will be. Which is a fancy way of saying I don’t know how it all ends.; -) But seriously, I used to know how it ended but after writing SHIFT I’m getting some new ideas, so… we’ll see. I’m very excited to start writing Book 3 and to find out how it all unfolds.

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready Publisher: Simon Pulse (May 4th, 2010) Reading Level: Young Adult Series: Shade, book #1 Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart… and clues to the secret of the Shift.

USE GOOGLE to read my review of SHADE
To find Jeri Smith-Ready:
Jeri Smith-Ready / Twitter / Facebook / Blog / Goodreads

Purchase Shade:
Amazon / The Book Depository / Barnes & Noble

author interview, book, crossroads, Jeri Smith-Ready, LIFE, and more:

Crossroads Tour: Jeri Smith-Ready + TIME