The Best Reader + Trisha Wolfe

Review: Destiny's Fire by Trisha Wolfe

Destiny's Fire by Trisha Wolfe
Omnific Publishing (January 10th, 2012)
Paperback: 159 pages
Reading Level: Young Adult
Source: Author/Publisher
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
It’s the year 2040, and sixteen-year-old Dez Harkly is one of the last of her kind—part of a nearly extinct race of shape-shifters descended from guardians to the Egyptian pharaohs. Her home and her secret are threatened when the Council lowers the barrier, allowing the enemy race to enter the Shythe haven.

As the Narcolym airships approach, Dez and her friends rebel against their Council and secretly train for battle. Not only is Dez wary of war and her growing affection for her best friend Jace, but she fears the change her birthday will bring. When Dez’s newfound power rockets out of control, it’s a Narcolym who could change her fate… if she can trust him.

Dez’s guarded world crumbles when she discovers why the Narcos have really come to Haven Falls, and she's forced to choose between the race who raised her and the enemy she's feared her whole life.
Review: I must say that I honestly didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book. I knew I loved Trisha's writing from what I read in her short story Unveiled, but this was my first time reading a steampunk novel. But as soon as I started reading, all my worries flew away. Destiny's Fire grabbed me on page 1. Literally, and if you've read the book, you know why! Immediately in the story we meet Dez and the triplets — Jace, Lana, and Nick. We learn about their world in 2040 where the Narcolym are coming to start mingling with the Shythe. No one really likes this idea, especially Jace. Dez and the triplets train for a battle they feel will be inevitable.

As I mentioned, steampunk is new to me and I thought I would be completely confused by the terms. I should have factored in Trisha's fabulousness. She made it exciting! She completely described this foreign world to me in a way that helped me truly visualize it. It all made sense!

Dez was incredible. She was such a strong character and she really cared about her friends. This is all tested when Reese, a Narcolym, pushes his way into the picture. Jace and Reese do not get along, at all! Due to all of this conflict, Jace finally stars showing his feelings for Dez and she tries to see what is stronger, her feelings for her best friend or her best friend's new enemy. Drama! Reese is more than he seems though, and he shows Dez a part of her past that she didn't know existed.

Jace or Reese, Jace or Reese. It's like picking cake or ice cream. Trisha created the type of love triangle I adore. I could see the pull for each guy and they both did have a downside. No one was perfect and between Jace's temper and Reese's secrets, I could see the conflict Dez had between them.

The plot and action Trisha created in this story was also an unexpected turn. There was a great back-story, a lot of manipulation, and a powerful Council that both races had to deal with. I felt like I was thrown headfirst into this intense battle and I loved every minute of it! Dealing with all the craziness really helped Dez grow as a person. It was as if she was 3 years older by the end of the book.

I was very satisfied with how everything wrapped up but I gotta have book 2 soon!! Who can resist reading more of a wonderful story with a sizzling romantic love triangle? Not me!

Destiny's Fire gave me a taste of something new and I'm hooked! I can't wait to read more from Trisha Wolfe and see where she takes these characters next.

Recommended: Paranormal/steampunk readers or anyone who wants a taste of steampunk. Also, anyone who just loves a lot of drama, action, and hotness.

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Amazon | Barnes & Noble

5 stars, book, Destiny's Fire, LIFE, Omnific Publishing, review, TIME, and more:

Review: Destiny's Fire by Trisha Wolfe + Trisha Wolfe