The Best Reader + Zonderkidz

Review: Halflings by Heather Burch

Halflings by Heather Burch
Publisher: Zonderkidz (January 10, 2012)
Paperback: 288 pages
Reading Level: Young Adult
Source: NetGalley
Series: Halflings #1
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.
Review: I admit, it's hard for me to love angel books, typically. I'm not sure why but only rarely do they grab my attention. But, Halflings was incredible! Definitely in the top 3 angel books I've ever read and I can't wait to get the 2nd book in the series.

First, Nikki was an amazing female character. I love to see someone who can run with the boys and kick some butt. Nikki is smart, determined, and fierce! She does well tackling the things that come her way, until it's more than teenage drama she is forced to deal with. For reasons unknown to her, evil creatures want her dead. But she isn't alone in the fight. She has 3 fabulous halflings helping her with the battle. 3 fabulous … hot, male… halflings! I mean really, who wouldn't want them as bodyguards??

Mace, Raven, and Vine have missions to protect people and now that person is Nikki. She is thrown into their world and she immediately knows they are not normal guys. Mace saves her from an accident on her motorcycle, and while he tries to convince her that nothing strange happens, Nikki isn't buying it. After a while she learns what the guys really are.

Mace is the good-guy. He is strong but he follows along with the rules and tries to do what is right. He is the first to share a deep connection with Nikki. But something, or someone, throws a wrench into his plans. Raven is pretty much the total opposite of Mace. He is stubborn and has a bad attitude. He never wants to do what he is told and for some reason, Nikki loves that. But then again, he's totally hot, so I understand: ) But now Nikki has a nice love triangle on her hands.

I know some people hate love triangles but I am not one of them. It's difficult to make a love triangle realistic and genuine but Heather Burch did a fantastic job at this! I really believed the connections Nikki had with Mace and Raven. Nothing seemed forced and the chemistry was there. Loved it!

I don't want to forget mentioning Vine too because he was just adorable. He's the newbie, and usually the one who tries to keep the peace between Mace and Raven. I really liked his character a lot.

The plot of Halflings was incredibly gripping. It was unique and full of action, twists, and turns that I never expected. There were so many pulse-pounding moments that had me on the edge of my seat.

Heather Burch beautifully crafted this story and everything about it drew me in. I couldn't stop reading and I'm anxiously awaiting book 2!

Highly recommended read!

Website | Goodreads | Twitter

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

5 stars, book, Halflings, Heather Burch, review, and more:

Review: Halflings by Heather Burch + Zonderkidz