The Best Reader + TIME

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Janenifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Janenifer E. Smith
Publisher: Poppy (January 2nd, 2012)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 236 pages
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
Review: When I first saw the cover and summary for this book, I was super excited to get my hands on it. I'm a hopeless romantic and the thoughts of a book taking place during such a short time period really grabbed my attention. This is a cute, romantic story, but it just didn't hold my interest as much as I wanted.

Hadley, a 17 year-old girl, is on her way to her father's wedding in London. She misses her flight and that puts her on a path to meet Oliver, a young boy also on his way to London. This book was interesting because it really shows how timing is everything and how fate can change your life. It's so easy for 1 small thing to change a life forever. Like how you can drop your keys and have them picked up by a guy who may later become your husband because of that 1 small event.

I really enjoyed the beginning of the story and the parts of the plane ride where Hadley and Oliver are really getting to know each other. They had a nice connection early on and their conversations seemed honest and realistic. However, I found that I didn't fully connect with Hadley. There was nothing really wrong with her, and sometimes I found her funny, but she still came off as a bit… boring. Oliver, on the other hand, was wonderful. He was sweet, charming, smart, and witty.

There is a back story to this book that involves Hadley's relationship with her father. She recalls their past together, when he was with her mother, and how it all came crashing down. I think because of my lack of connection with Hadley, I just didn't find an interest in this part of the story. I found myself skipping paragraphs to get back to the sections where she was talking to Oliver.

Overall, there is no doubt this is a cute book with a wonderful romance. If you are looking for a quick read, it's a good pick. It's somewhat predictable but I'm still really glad I read it.

Goodreads | Twitter

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

3 stars, book, Jennifer E. Smith, LIFE, Poppy, review, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, and more:

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Janenifer E. Smith + TIME